NHSO Transforms 2020-21 Season in Response to Pandemic

Thursday • November 19, 2020

The New Haven Symphony Orchestra (NHSO) Board of Directors announces that the orchestra will not be performing the concerts as originally scheduled through May 2021. This decision comes as a response to the orchestra’s prioritization of musician and audience health and safety, a strict adherence to state and CDC guidelines, and a lack of access to its regular performance venues in schools and universities.

NHSO CEO Elaine C. Carroll says, “Although this decision does not come as a surprise, it still pains us to set aside all of the brilliant programs and performances that we had originally slated for this season. However, now that we can put that decision behind us, it makes room for our board, musicians, and music director to do what they do best – put forward musical performances that reflect and respond to our community.”

Music Director Alasdair Neale says, “We are working hard behind the scenes to reimagine what an orchestra performance can be in our changed world, and are looking forward to sharing our new concert and education program line-up very soon. I think that New Haven will have much to be proud of as our musicians perform and innovate in ways we never would have thought possible.”

Faced with concert cancellations due to the COVID surge since last March, the Symphony has already hit the ground running with ground-breaking virtual education programs and community concerts. Last month, the Symphony performed outdoor concerts at the Canal Dock Boathouse, earning high praise for the musical performances and new levels of access offered by the unique venue. The NHSO’s award-winning programs continue to be presented by NHSO teaching artists to schools throughout the state.